Four years ago, we honeymooned in Palm Springs, CA. Though it wasn't far from home, we had the most amazing time. It showed us that local trips were so worth it. Since then, we decided that instead of buying each other anniversary presents, we would instead take trips together. Kind of like anniversary "honeymoons" and last year's was our favorite! We still talk about it over a year later.
We decided to take a three day trip to San Diego. We went with no agenda other than knowing we wanted to go beer tasting and to the beach. I wanted to share with you all my top five favorite places/experiences we had!
1. First, we stayed at an Air BnB. The place was so cute! We had our own entrance to our place and a little kitchen (that we didn't use) in our room. It was close to everywhere we wanted to go and to get to it, we needed to exit the freeway on "Home Ave." Made me feel right at home!
2. Before we even arrived at our Air BnB, we wanted to stop for food. If you know me, you know that my go to choices are Thai, Sushi, and dessert. We typed in "Thai food" on Yelp and ended up at a hole-in-the-wall called "55 Thai Kitchen." The place was literally in the back of a liquor store but the food and the ambiance was so great! Definitely was one of those "you can't judge a book by it's cover" moments. If you are in San Diego, like Thai, and haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it!
3. Next is the beer tasting! Now let me start off by saying that I am not a beer drinker, but this trip helped me enjoy the flavors and the making of beer. My husband enjoys craft brews and one of his favorite breweries is Ballast Point. So we made our trek over there to take a tour of the brewery and to eat at the restaurant in Miramar. Looking at my husband on the tour was like watching a child in a toy store! His face exuded pure joy as we walked around and learned about the science behind the beer, how it was made, and how it was stored! Our tour guide was incredible as well! Justin G! He hooked Christian up with a free beer since we were also celebrating his birthday and at the end of the night, he gifted us with a couple of beer glasses, a keychain, and a Barrel Aged Victory at Sea (that we weren't allowed to open for at least a year). To say my husband was on Cloud 9 is an understatement! I can't even do the experience justice. It was one of those you just have to have been there moments. As if the night couldn't get any better, the food was INCREDIBLE! And there was a gluten-free option which I loved (though vacations are my cheat weeks). I also found out that I like "sours." I was able to drink a whole 4oz without giving up. Ballast Point is now our absolute favorite restaraunt and it was so special getting to have that experience together.
4. We ended up choosing Coronado for our beach experience. The best part was parking in a cute little neighborhood off the beach and strolling over while looking at all of the houses. It felt like we were in another little world, like a beach house museum or something. It's funny how we can do all these crazy experiences but just walking hand in hand with my husband is my favorite memory. The beach was beautiful as always, one of our favorite places to go together no matter what city we are in.
5. We ate at so many great places, no meal disappointed, but the most fun place we went to was Lucha Libre. It was a popular hole-in-the-wall place with a line out the door. We walked in and the room was pink and covered in Lucha Libre pictures and gear. We got a California burrito and it was so good, but the experience was even better.
Well, there you have it, our top five experiences in San Diego! We also tried a great crepe place, visited Balboa park, had an ice cream flight, ate sushi, and went to Belching Beaver. We definitely packed our three days! Our next trip is to Scotland and Ireland this fall! We haven't travelled internationally together so any tips or places we should see are welcomed!